<$BlogRSDURL$>

Friday, August 20, 2004

Examining The Rash

I have something of a fascination with how streaky Willie Harris is when it comes to getting on base. The Rash seems to flare up by getting on base 4 or 5 times in one game, then gets on base once over the course of the next few games.

Well, I actually looked at Willie's game log to see a break down of the amount of times he's gotten on base in games where he's had more than one plate appearance. And, quite frankly, I don't know what to make of this data.

Times on Base012345
Games152523543

It concerns me that the Rash does not reach base in 20% of his starts. It also concerns me that about 40% of Harris' times on base occurred in just 15 games, another 20%. So 40% of the time, it's sink or swim for Harris. In 41 starts since June 1, he hasn't reached base 11 times, over 25% of the time. That is not so good.

I'd like to know how this compares to other leadoff hitters in the league. My hunch is that the best leadoff hitters have most of their starts in the 2-3 times on base range.


Comments-[ comments.]
Comments: Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?