<$BlogRSDURL$>

Sunday, April 24, 2005

Tadahito Iguchi, 19 Games Later

Not too long ago, I noted that I thought new Sox second baseman's swing looked bad and that Iguchi might not turn out to do so well in the U.S. When Iguchi signed with the White Sox, I also looked at other Japanese position players who came to the U.S. as a measuring tool for what Iguchi might do over here.

It looks like I was right the first time. What we see from Iguchi is that he is contributing a good batting average, but his OBP and SLG have decreased from his days in Japan. In other words, for you non-statheads, he's walking less and hitting for less power.

I also can see why his power numbers and patience numbers have dropped. He seems like he is really trying to get base hits more than anything - trying to hit pitches in at bats that he knows he can handle. He has been impressive against good pitchers like Johan Santana as well - pitchers who you might think he would struggle against the most. I think that he'll add power as the season goes along, as well as start being more selective at the plate. I think that a .300/.350/.430 season is not out of the question.


Comments-[ comments.]
Comments:
Ever watch Ichiro's swing? It's the ugliest thing I've ever seen. I've no idea how he gets a single hit much less break the single season record for hits.
 
Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?